Drain damage is a rather scary prospect. Indeed, is can badly disrupt one’s everyday life and costs a lot of money to fix. 

One of the many ways in which unethical drainage companies and dishonest contractors can take advantage of you is by performing work for which you are eligible to receive reimbursement from your homeowner’s insurance policy. There is no shortage of businesses that are willing to produce an estimate and carry out the work before inquiring of the customer whether or not they have reviewed their existing homeowner’s policy.

Home Insurance

Your homeowner’s insurance policy, regardless of the type of home you own (detached, semi-detached, or terraced), is likely to be quite comprehensive and will cover a wide variety of services. If you are the owner of a home, you are eligible for this coverage. The vast majority of people are completely unaware of the fact that the majority of the time, the costs of resolving problems with septic tanks or soakaway crates are covered by standard building insurance policies. Accidental damage to water and drain pipes is typically covered by the vast majority of homeowner’s insurance policies, provided that the pipes are the responsibility of the policyholder. However, these policies may on occasion include exceptions that are not covered, so it is important to verify all coverage details before filing a claim.

Pitch fibre was a material that was widely used in the 1950s and 1960s but is now considered to be defective. If the pipes are made from certain materials, such as pitch fibre, a handful of insurers can refuse to pay the claims. Pitch fibre was one of the materials.

There is also the possibility that problems have been caused by blocked drains as a result of subsidence, which has damaged the drains. In most cases, the answer to this question will be determined by the specifics of the coverage provided by your insurance provider. It is also a good idea to let landlords or the council know if you intend to perform work on drainage areas that you are unsure of in terms of who is responsible for the work and the extent of the work that needs to be done. In addition to assisting you with your insurance claims, we also provide a service to assist you with any condition reports or drain surveys that you may require.

What is you responsibility?

Keep in mind that you are solely responsible for the drains that are located on your property. Even if your drain touches or meets the drains on another property, you are only responsible for maintaining your own. Therefore, it would be beneficial to not only let neighbouring buildings and land know that there is an issue, but also to get the issue resolved at the same time, in order to prevent the same thing from happening not long after.

It is your responsibility to keep your drainage system maintained. Doing so on a regular basis is the most effective way to prevent potential damage. The best way to ensure that your pipes remain in the best condition possible is to perform routine cleaning and inspections.

What are the rules for landlords?

If you are a landlord, there are a few things that you might need to take into consideration, and one of those things is insurance for landlords. When shopping for landlord insurance, it is important to keep in mind that the contents portion of the policy covers items that solely belong to you, even if you rent out the property. Therefore, if the tenant’s belongings were taken, they will have to file a claim with their homeowner’s insurance and/or their contents insurance. If a tenant of yours has a problem with the drains and the property is being rented out by you alone, you will need to contact your insurance company to find out what needs to be done and how to fix it.